Monday 6 January 2020

My Top 5 Anime in Fall 2019

The season is over and so is the year. This season I did try to watch more than I could handle and ended up dropping some Anime; but did the Anime I kept watching, worth it?. Here is my Top 5 Anime and Honourable mention. 


Honourable Mention #1
Assassins Pride (12 Eps) – 3 Stars 
Talk about being confused after a couple of episodes. When I got what was going on; I enjoyed it. When I was lost and just really confused; I didn’t enjoy it at all.  I haven’t read the source material and from what others have said; the source material is so much better. Knowing this I can now figure out why I was so lost and confused. Not only did they just rush things; they also skipped things which included friendships being formed and just location changes and development. With that said; the pacing was awful and the storyline although interesting when I could follow it; lacked a lot of things. All the issued just went to the fact that the people behind this Anime adaption rushed this whole thing and it all fell apart. There were moments that I enjoyed and was entertained and some nice fighting scenes.

The main character Melida does grow in strength, courage and ability but a lot of this growth is off screen due to the issues I have stated in the first paragraph. I do like her; but I do find her annoying at times. Kufa is the main male character and I just like him in a whole. He knows what he must do to get his job done but he also has rules he bends if he feels it would be best. I just love how a hard, strong and capable character is swayed by a young child. I found Elise annoying, Rosetti funny and Nerva being a character I hated to begin with but then started to like her for reasons shown in the Anime.

Did I love the opening or ending song; not really. Was it catchy; yes it was, it fit the Anime and the characters, and I did start to try to sing along with it by the end of the season. Do I want a second season; no. What I want is for them to do a reboot and do it the justice people want and what I secretly want too. Will this happen; most likely not. 

---

#5
Fairy Gone 2 (12 Eps) – 4 Stars
After watching season 1 of this show, I honestly wasn’t looking forward to this season, but I just wanted to watch it and finish it; to complete it. I said all the things that went wrong in season 1 and I have to say that they improved on so many of those problems. I mentioned in the previous season that I was confused with who was who and what was what and although it was confusing still at the start of this season; I did managed to get to grips with who actually was good and who was bad. I managed to get the gist of the plot of this whole thing, but I was still confused on why it took this long for me to finally make sense of this whole thing. The pacing of this season was done so much better and I am really impressed with how much they improved from last season to this season. That certain thing I was annoyed with as it was constantly being flung in my face was still mentioned a lot but this time it was less annoying as it was being developed while being mentioned. The fight scenes were just as good if not better than last season. 

Character development is something I look to, especially in a second season as they have more time to develop said characters. Not only did they develop Marlya in the most amazing way; giving her more likeability and strength. They managed to develop other characters that never got any spotlights last season. I still found some characters to be annoying and not needed but I find that most Anime makes me feel this.

The OST in this Season was just as amazing as the last; which makes sense as it’s the same Artists as last season. The opening song was weaker than last season, but I did prefer this ending song. I said for season 1 that I was dreading season 2 but I am glad I watched it and it had an ending I can be pleased and happy with. This wasn’t the perfect Anime, but it manged to improve and make me happy that I stuck to it. No more though please, we don’t need any more seasons.

#4
Psycho-Pass 3 (8 Eps) – 4 ½ Stars 
I was surprised when a 3rd season was announced and then I was also stupid as I never got around to watching the 3 movies that were released throughout the year. I did find out that it wasn’t the end of the world without watching them, but I will get to watch them at some point. I am still confused as to why certain things happened and if that is due to the movies then please let me know in the comments below. I didn’t like how it was going to be a shorter season but then thrilled to find out that each episode was going to be roughly 45mins long. I loved this season with the twists and turns and seeing more characters and learning more about things. I did feel at times the pacing was a little off for me. At times I felt like it was going to slow, then too fast and then too slow again and I was starting to wonder where it was heading. 

The main two characters are opposites of each other but I did start to enjoy both of them for those two different personalities. I do admit I prefer Arata over Kei but that’s due to the fact I enjoy his personality more. You did have some characters that were in previous Seasons which was great too see them again.  

I really loved the opening and ending songs. The opening being very catchy and addicting; I did feel that the opening was underrated in my opinion. The ending song was just fitting for Psycho-Pass. Overall, I did enjoy this season, but I need more; not just because of the ending but because I just love this series. With only a compilation film announced and not another sequel it makes me nervous if there will be more. Hopefully there will be either a season 4 or a sequel movie. Until then I will watch those 3 movies I didn’t get to watch and wait for more from this amazing franchise. 

#3
Fire Force (24 Eps) – 4 ½ Stars 
I honestly thought this Anime was going to be just another average show with fire and fighting. I was hooked from the get-go; the way it just dragged me in from just one episode. The only things in this Anime that made me not enjoy it was the random fan service moments and sometimes the pacing was a little bit weird and jumbled up. The storyline does have similar elements to other Anime; but made unique. They managed to make fire abilities unique with every character. In my head before this show was; fire is fire. After watching this show; I see how fire abilities can differ and how some ways of using fire could be useful in one situation but not another. The pacing of the Anime was at a steady pace for most of the Anime. It was only now and then did I find the pacing too slow or too fast. The fighting in this Anime was done in such a wonderful way. I enjoyed every fight that happened; even if it weren’t the main character. 

Shinra is the main character in this show and I love him to bits. He isn’t dumb yet he does sometimes make mistakes. He does everything in order to be a hero. I love his creepy smile; it makes him unique. He strives to be stronger and will even help people when they don’t even ask to be helped. Arthur is dumb, silly and definitely the comic relief but that’s not all he is. The further this Anime goes; you get to see him get better in his fighting and skills. Iris is such an innocent and cute girl who may not be a fighter, but she is essential in this show to be the support role. Maki is a crazy, strong and in my opinion; best girl. Tamaki is good at fighting but can be the comic relief also; especially when it comes to the fan service moments. Hinawa at first seemed a little too cold and only obey rules but then there’s an episode that changed my mind. Oubi even without powers is such an amazing leader and strong in battle. Other than all the main characters, I also loved; Hibana, Vulcan and Flare & Sputter.

There was two openings and two endings for this fire Anime. If I had too choose based on the music fitting with the Animation, then I would say the first opening was better. If it was just based on song and song only; I would give it to the second opening. Both endings were amazing and fit with the show. I would choose second ending as my favourite based on the lyrics alone. I am so glad that I don’t have to wait to see if there will be a second season; as it was announced after the finale. I am so pumped and hyped for season two and I hope that I can rate the second season 5 Stars. 

#2
Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld (12 Eps) – 4 ½ Stars
I knew going into this Anime that it would be more focused on Alice rather than Kirito but I didn’t know that it was only going to be 12 episodes. The storyline was continuing from the season before both in the Game world and Real world. The pacing was perfect, and I never felt like it was being rushed. The animation within the fights that happened were amazing and I felt like if the Animation wasn’t good then the fights might not have had the same impact. The ending of this season was a little annoying as I just felt like it ended as if it were to continue but it wont until April. I hate saying this because we should let other characters get the spotlight, but I really miss Kirito being in action. 

Alice is the main character in this season and I really loved how she protects Kirito and does everything to help others. She’s a capable fighter and she came into her own a lot more this season. Asuna gets to be in this season a bit more as they find out that something is wrong with Kirito and they can only potentially help him if they go into the game themselves. She volunteers to go into the game; no surprises there. There were other characters in this series, but I really felt they all had small parts but in those small parts they got to show off their personalities and fighting skills. 

The opening song wasn’t as good as the past openings, but it was a good song. The ending song was a beautiful song sung by the amazing LiSA that nearly always gets to sing something in the SAO franchise which is just amazing that they keep her involved. I am looking forward to the last season of SAO. 


#1
Dr. Stone (24 Eps) – 5 Stars 
When me and my partner decided to watch this; I honestly had a feeling it was going to be average and nothing too special but oh I was totally wrong. The storyline itself is unique in the sense it’s not all about the action, the characters; but also, science. For someone who wasn’t the best at science and found it boring; this show managed to make science seem fun and interesting. Was the first few Episodes slow; yes, but after a bit it started to pick up pace and the entertainment value just went higher and higher. The comedy in it was also amazing and not overdone unlike some Anime. 

Senku is the main character and at first it seemed like his friend was getting more of a spotlight, but it ended up shifting to Senku, but there was a reason why this had to happen. He was a very well thought of character that I started to fall in love with after a few episodes. He isn’t your typical main male protagonist. I would summarise that in past Anime the main male character is either very overpowered from the get-go, or very weak from the very get go and then they grow to be stronger. Senku is smart; from the very start. He didn’t grow in the sense; he was dumb before this situation happened, but because he was smart from the get-go; he managed to turn this horrible situation into a situation that can be improved and some how move on from. He is a hero in the sense that he has the brain power and science knowledge with him that the others didn’t possess. He still makes mistakes, overlooks things and is weak in other situations; no one is good at everything, unless you are super lucky. Other characters that I also loved were; Chrome, Kohaku, Gen and Suika. I hated Tsukasa and Mantle

This Anime had two amazing openings and two amazing ending songs. If I had to choose my favourites; I would have to say the first opening was my favourite and then the second ending was my favourite. There was also a song that was sung in a certain episode that so beautiful; I don’t want to go into too much detail as it’s spoiler territory. I am so excited that a second season was announced right at the end of the last episode. I am now going to wait patiently (maybe?) for the next season. 


----
I found it really hard to order 4-2 as I enjoyed all 3 in different ways. All 3 had something I wanted more of and hope I get more. In the end, I placed Psycho-Pass lower as I don't know if there is going to be a sequel vs the other two which have sequels announced.

My Top 20 Anime of 2019 will be up by the latest January 31st; hopefully earlier.


Tara
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music