Wednesday 10 April 2019

My Top 5 Anime in Winter 2019

The start of the new Anime year has begun and oh boy did it start in a really good way. Was it a perfect season? Well read on and you shall see.

Only Anime that ENDED in this season counts, ones that are going into the next season and end in that season, will be rated in that corresponding season post.

Without further delay; here is my Top 5 Anime of Winter and 1 honourable mention.


Honourable Mention #1
Kakegurui 2nd Season (12 Eps) – 4 Stars
After how amazing the first season was, I was worried it wouldn’t be able to be as good, and unfortunately I was right in being worried. It started off in a really strong way, but then as the series went and the “gambles” went, I kind of got confused, bored and confused once again.

I also felt they added way too many new characters in this season, without developing current characters further… like a certain male character that … still hasn’t really had a time to shine on his own, like EVER. He has only been important in like one or two episodes this season. COME ON.

The opening song was so much better than last season and it was just so fitting, catchy and amazing. The ending song wasn’t as strong as the last seasons ending song. So I guess it evened it out. I think in reality I have rated this higher than I should have, as the ending was a lot to be desired.

 If a third season does happen, then I really hope it gets back to the spark season one had and actually develop characters they haven’t managed to as of yet. 

---

#5
B-PROJECT: Zecchou Emotion (12 Eps) – 4 Stars
I never though an Idol show would have so much drama, but then at the same time actually disappoint me at times. It started of really strong, and I was honestly thinking it was going to be so much better than the first season. Introducing the new band to join the big B-Project band was such a great idea and it meant we got to see new interactions and see new bonds created, tested and fawn over new boys. The drama I was talking about was going to such heights and I was so invested in it but then it suddenly felt flat; all the effort to suddenly become insignificant.

I did enjoy the moments where they were reminding the girl that she’s just as part of the group than they are. It showed they care for her and understand sometimes things go wrong, especially when you are looking after so many boys. The main girl is strong willed and does try her best with everything she was doing, and she honestly didn’t deserve any blame or hate at all during this season.

The animation is good, I mean for an idol Anime it’s good, but I don’t like the CGI that they use when they are performing on stage, it looks horrid and tacky and I know they do it to a lot of Idol Anime but I feel this show does it the worst of what I have seen so far or what I remember. The opening song was catchy and the ending song sweet. The insert songs were really well written and giving to the correct band members to sing.

I would actually like to see more from them, but maybe just as an OVA or Movie. 

#4
I thought this was going to be another one of those reverse harems where the main girl is useless, weak and just pines for all the boys’ attentions. This one wasn’t like that at all. The storyline was of course similar in the fact multiple boys get to have some time with the main character and also that the guys were cute and all have a different talent and reason for why “she” should chose them. This one though shows not only her learning from them and gaining confidence from them, but them also learning from her. The pacing of the Anime was done in a good pace and I never felt it was rushed or too slow.

The main character was clueless and weak to begin with, I’m not saying she wasn’t, but she started to grow from episode two and progressed in such a way that I became really proud of her. The main male character was interesting and I did like him, but I felt like he could have been there a lot more and had more presence at certain times.

The opening song was catchy and interesting and I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me by episode three/four. There was more than one ending song, and I did enjoy them all, but they just weren’t as memorable as the opening song.

Overall I did love this show, but the ending may have taken that half star away, along with other minor issues. Would I like to see a second season? Yes I would, but I have a feeling it won’t happen. But even if a second couldn’t happen, I would like to see an alternate ending or two in OVA form maybe.

#3
Radiant (21 Eps) – 4 ½ Stars
I went into this Anime thinking it was going to be childish, boring and have nothing unique about it. I was wrong. Even though I tell myself not to judge Anime before I watch a few episodes I still end up doing that. I loved the storyline, from the moment the whole situation was explained I was hooked. Was this Anime perfect? No. There were multiple times it was slow, there was times it dragged on, but also times it rushed. No matter the case it was still really entertaining.

The characters really helped with that. Every character was different and unique, having something that only they could pull off. Seth being the main character really did annoy me at times, but then he kind of grew on me. Reminds me of so many other young boys in Anime...

 The animation was actually not bad at all, was it top notch; no but it wasn’t rubbish or bad like other Anime I have watched. The opening song was really catchy and although this was a two season Anime, it only had one opening song which to me was a great idea. The ending song although cool and nice it wasn’t something that I would listen in my own free time. 

Overall I am so happy I watched this show and knowing there’s going to be a season two makes me happy as it ended terribly if that news wasn’t out.

#2
Sword Art Online: Alicization (24 Eps) – 5 Stars
I went into this thinking it was going to be airing for a whole year and not split between half a year, so when I suddenly realised it ended I had to think of what to rate it. I am only joking with thinking part; there was no need to think. It is by far the best Sword Art Online series to date, and other than the Movie that I rated 5 stars this is the first time I have rated a SAO series 5 Stars. This series started with a crazy situation happening, which actually caused Kirito to be in actual danger and for the only way of surviving was to go into a game. The thing about this series is, I actually felt invested into this storyline to the point that I forgot Kirito is in a game. The storyline was thought of really well and managed to hook me into it; especially when high tension plots was implemented into it. I did start to feel with the past couple of ARC’s from SAO that they might be losing their touch with telling a good storyline but this series put my worries to rest. The pacing was done in a really good way and I never once felt like it was rushed.

 Kirito being the main character obviously was written way better than the past few ARC’s just like the storylines. Eugeo being the other main character was shown to be weaker than Kirito but where Kirito lacked at times, Eugeo did show his strengths, especially to the latter half of the season. His growth was one of the things that made me like him. The bond between the two males was done really well and it was great to see to male leads rather than a male and female or female and female in the franchise of SAO.

The Animation was pretty decent in my eyes, though I am not expert, so I normally only notice the quality of Animation in certain cases. The two opening songs were amazing and fit for the show, and although I loved the first one, the second one will have to be my favourite. The ending songs were also good, and I will have to give it to the second one as well.

I can’t wait until the second half of this series in Fall. Let the wait begin.

#1
I wanted to watch this the moment I saw the announcement and watched the trailer. I never thought I would find an Anime that can hook me in from just the first five – ten minutes. I always like an Anime that has a unique storyline and also a pace that isn’t too rushed and also not too slow.

I have never felt the need to protect Anime characters as much as I did watching this; it didn’t help that the majority of the cast are children and me being an adult and especially an adult woman I felt the need to protect them like they were my own children. All of the children play a part in this incredible story and although that is the case; you had three main children who stood out in the spotlight. All three of them had a role to play and a reason to like them and get on board with all their thoughts and ideas. Emma is most certainly my favourite character out of everyone in the show.

This Anime does everything perfectly; from the stellar animation, to the amazing soundtrack and the unique way they used camera angling when walking through corridors etc. The opening song is perfect for the show and it makes you get into the mood for crazy journey with the children. The two endings were amazing and pretty. They helped with the emotion the episode was trying to put across.

I am not afraid to say that I cried multiple times during this show and I can’t wait to go on this incredible ride again when the second season airs next year. 


----
I have to say that I was mainly pleased and happy with how the Season ended. The Fourth and Third was hard to put in the right order, so I would say they are joint if I could.

See you for my Top 5 Opening songs for Spring post.

Tara
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music