Monday 13 September 2021

Review of Given

The Storyline I knew was going to have themes of BL (Boys Love) along with Music; but I never imagine it would grab me and not let me go until I felt so many different emotions for different reasons. I knew going in it was going to have some dark, adult themes due to the tag of “noitaminA”. Look up the tag and you will understand. I did enjoy this plot, it managed to have deep and dark issues which is realistic but then it also had its happy moments too. The happy moments really did help balance the emotional pain you start to feel during this whole ride. There were no issues with the pacing as I never felt for once it was going too slow or too fast.

I don’t think I really noticed any issues with the Animation but then I also never saw anything too impressive. I think the only times I found myself paying attention to the Animation was when it’s focused on the instruments and when they are playing on stage. This show wasn’t about the animation so in my head; it did what it needed to do. The Sound was always going to be an important element in this Anime due to the Music genre. The drums, guitars etc all sound wonderful and in tune. The singing in this show is also beautiful and for some reason I feel the rawness in the singing. The feelings I experience when listening to the lyrics of a certain song is certainly something. The opening song is amazing and at first, I didn’t know the translation, so I was just going with how it made me feel and my own interpretation but then after a while I found out the English translation of the song lyrics and it made me love it even more. I love when the opening songs relate to the show and it’s not just some random song for an Anime. I also felt the ending song was pretty and emotional, especially after seeing the English translation.

The Characters were all unique but of course have one thing in common: Music. Ritsuka Uenoyama when first introduced is just an average guy, who likes Music but has lost passion in all the things he used to love. At first, I wasn’t really connecting with him but with time and progression as a character I started to connect and love him as a character. Mafuyu Sato although as with Uenoyama I didn’t relate to at first, I did love him from the moment he entered the scene. I think it was because there was a sad/mysterious backstory to him that made me want to know everything and I enjoyed his presence. Akihiko and Haruki were the other two main characters that was introduced to us. Although they were “Secondary” characters, they were just as important and enjoyable as the other two. They were likeable, unique, and very interesting. There weren’t really any characters that I hated but there was some that I found annoying. There was one girl I wasn’t impressed with when she took something too far; not going to spoil it but you will know what I mean if you watch it.

Overall, I adored this show and enjoyed the ride. The drama side to this show was what surprised me, but it was certainly a good surprise. There is also a movie out, though while watching this I didn’t know. The movie is centred more on the two main secondary characters. I feel if you enjoyed shows like Anonymous Noise or Junjou Romantica; you will most likely enjoy this one. 


9.5/10Story
      
8.5/10Animation
      
10/10Sound
      
9.5/10Characters
      
9.7/10Overall


No comments:

Post a Comment

Music