Thursday 17 October 2019

My Top 5 Anime in Summer 2019

The Summer season has ended and it's already so close to the end of the year, which is crazy as it felt like it only just started. Here is my Top 5 Anime and 1 honourable Mention.


Honourable Mention #1
Bem (12 Eps) – 3 ½ Stars
Everyone gave up this Anime pretty much straight away, but I was determined to watch the whole show; even if it meant I hated the whole journey. The journey of watching this Anime was a hard one to keep at, but the last few episodes showed me why I kept at it and potential this Anime had from the start. The storyline felt very complicated for a short series and I think that’s why there were some issues. I really enjoyed the fights in this Anime and I feel that’s one of the strengths this show needed to keep the few people they managed to keep. The pacing was shaky to start with but then by the end it managed to smooth out.

I feel so bad for hating on Sonia(Summers) in the early episodes as she did start to grow into her own and manged to make me eat my own words. I kept saying that she wasn’t doing enough and she was weak but I have to say; she deserves more praise by the end. Bem, Bera and Bero do not deserve to be hated; when all they do is try to help people. I don’t want to go into too much detail for these three characters as I feel I may spoil a lot of things. I hated more characters than I loved, but that meant the ones I did love; impressed me a lot.

The opening song is catchy; even if it took a good few weeks to get into. The ending song was really good and it was sung by Junna who has done some other amazing Anime songs. I really don’t think there will be more seasons and to be honest, the ending was good enough for me.

---

#5
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II (12 Eps) – 4 Stars
Finally the wait is over for the next season of this fun, entertaining show. I really thought for a while it was just a joke that we were going to get a second season. I was diving into this with great expectations and at times it lived up to it, but at other times; I was really disappointed. So many things happened didn’t need to happen which just made me lose my focus and bored me. Don’t let that fool you with the fact this show was still funny and entertaining and I did enjoy it. The last few episodes in my opinion had no faults as it was mainly the getting to that point that caused the little issues I had.

I loved Bell last season and that hasn’t changed in this season either. He is just an entertaining character who wants to help those who is in need of help. He really is a hero in many ways and it’s a shame that from my POV, I feel he doesn’t see that. I know a lot of people will go ape crazy with the fact I actually don’t love Hestia. Don’t get me wrong; I like her but I don’t love her. I find her annoying at times but then at other times, I enjoy her onscreen. I do love other main characters in this show but only one character stood out more than other compared to last season. Mikoto was the character that improved the most to me and I loved her in this season.

I don’t really have a lot to talk about when it comes to opening and ending songs; as I wasn’t a fan of the opening or ending song. I do admit when the opening song played; it got me excited for the episode. With a 3rd season now announced; I can now look forward to a new season and hopefully it will improve and make me rate it a 5.

#4
High School Star Musical 3 (12 Eps) – 4 ½ Stars 
A lot of Idol/Music Anime either just stay the same or get boring with every season they bring out, but this is one of the few that hasn’t gotten worse but has gotten so much better with everything they do. The storyline in this season was in my mind a lot more mature and handled in a much better way. I felt like they were going to lose in many situations and I did start get really invested in the main storyline in particular. Were there situations that I found stupid and not needed; yes but it was less often than the past seasons. The pacing was done really well and I felt they didn’t drag anything out too much.

I think having so many characters taking the spotlights in this season was one of negative things to occur but I didn’t let that ruin my enjoyment. The main character in this franchise has always been Hoshitani and I love him to pieces and I actually love how he’s like the light to guide everyone and help them come together. The other characters that I loved in this season were; Nayuki, Ageha, Tatsumi and Shiki.

The opening song was really good but I have to admit that the ending song was the better of the two. I loved all the insert songs and I felt they were greatly improved from the previous seasons. I felt more emotions and I could actually relate to some of the songs. The ending of this season did seem a little cheesy and a cheap way of solving a certain situation and it also feels like they may not be doing another season. I would understand if they don’t but I would gladly watch another season or even just ova’s. 

#3
Given (11 Eps) – 5 Stars 
I am so glad that more BL Anime is being made and not only is it BL but its Music themed too, best of both worlds. I then read the tag noitaminA and I knew this was also going to be an emotional Anime on top of everything else. I adored this show for so many reasons. The plot is unique as it’s very dark and emotional in a realistic way but then it also had those happy moments and times where you can’t help but laugh. The pacing was done really well and I felt they didn’t rush anything or let anything drag on too long. 

Ritsuka Uenoyama when first introduced is just like an average guy but whose lost passion in all the things he used to love. At first I didn’t really connect with him, but in time I started to connect and love him as a character. Mafuyu Sato although as with Uenoyama I didn’t relate to at first, I did love him from the moment he entered the scene. I think it was because there was a sad/mysterious backstory to him that made me want to know everything and I enjoyed his presence. Akihiko and Haruki were the other two main characters, although not as important as the two, they were still likeable and Interesting. There wasn’t really any characters that I hated but that one girl did take it too far…you will know what I mean if and when you watch it.

The opening song is amazing and at first I didn’t know the translation so I was just going with how it made me feel and my own interpretation but then after a while I found out the English translation of the song lyrics and it made me love it even more. I love when the opening songs actually relate to the show and it’s not just some random song for an Anime. The ending song is also so pretty and emotional and also seeing the English translation for it just made it that much better. I know a second season hasn’t been announced but a Movie has and it’s said to be more centred around Akihiko and Haruki; so I am looking forward to that and can only hope for a second season. If it never happens then I will keep re-watching this season. Yes; it’s that good.

#2
Fruits Basket 1st Season (25 Eps) – 5 Stars 
For someone who could not get into the original anime (2001), this new adaption caught my attention, as I couldn’t wait for the next episode to come each week. This version of the anime just drew me in and it did not require all the extra stuff that other anime uses to get me hooked. The way that the story was told and how it was paced was done really well. Not once did I find it boring or not appealing. Although there were episodes that I felt did not impact me with emotions in previous episodes, but it was needed so that I can breathe, with episodes that had an impact on me; hit me hard.

Tohru is just an innocent, pretty and strong girl. When I say strong, I mean in the mental way; not the strength way. Right from the moment you get introduced to her, you know she’s lost someone she loves and how she’s just trying to live her life without causing too much hassle for anyone else; which takes a lot of strength to do so. Yuki is the quite but lovable character that you see in many Anime but the difference is; he doesn’t see that he deserves to be loved and deserves good things and that makes him that much better than other characters. Kyo is the other main male character and who is the opposite of Yuki with the fact he’s more outgoing and loud. This doesn’t mean he’s not lovable and doesn’t deserve good things. All 3 main characters plus other characters have had tragedies happen in their life and it’s all about helping eachother and making bonds. Also the answer to whom I ship, whom with; it will have to be Tohru with Yuki (Kyo shippers don’t hate me please).

This season had two openings and two ending in total. I have to admit that I loved both endings and I really can’t choose a favourite between them two. The first opening was my favourite and although I didn’t like the second opening to begin with; it started to grow on me. With a second season already announced for next year and with the news they are adapting the whole Manga; we can look forward to many more emotional and memorable moments.

#1
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (26 Eps) – 5 Stars
When I saw this was being animated by ufotable, I may have low key got excited before I even got to watch the trailer or read more about it. I honestly thought it was going to be an average Anime with someone fighting for a reason that was important to him. I have to admit right now; I was so wrong. This Anime not only delivered the best Animation I have seen in a Shounen Anime but also managed to draw me into a world that showed me some really good, sad and epic moments that will be in my memories for a long time coming. I never once felt the pacing was too slow or too fast and when the episodes weren’t filled with Action it was instead used to develop plots or develop characters. I also want to point out that they managed to add comedy within this drama filled show.

Tanjirou; my sweet boy is such a great main character. I have most likely said this about so many other main characters but in this case; he really is one of my favourite male main characters in Anime. The first thing that I noticed was; he wasn’t annoying and I mean NEVER annoying which was such a relief as with most Shounen Anime that comes out has an annoying main character and for me it’s getting repetitive for that. He tries his everything in everything that he does and he never, ever gives up. He sees the best in everything and even shows respect to people and situations most people wouldn’t. His sister Nezuko is just pretty, cute, amazing and the chemistry that Tanjirou has with her is a bond that I rarely see in Anime. So this is where the annoying character comes into play. Zenitsu is a loud, crazy cry-baby but also was the reason why I laughed out loud at times during the show. Here is the underdeveloped character of the show. Inosuke is the character I really want to see more of in the future; not because I hate him, but because I can’t love him at the moment with the lack of development. There was also many other characters that I loved and also others that I didn’t like at all.

This was a two season Anime, but only had one opening and one ending; and I was fine with that. How can I complain about songs sung by LiSA. She has such a great voice and she did both the Opening and Ending song justice. I am really happy they announced a movie to develop the next ARC and hope that after this Movie that a second season is announced as I don’t want this journey to end anytime soon. 

----
I had the hardest job putting my Top 3 in the order that I have placed them, as I rated all three; 5 Stars. This season was such a good season for shows to end.

See you for my next post which will be for my Top 5 Fall Anime Openings.

Tara
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music